Mission statement: To act to increase education and awareness and advocate to preserve African American history as represented by historic and culturally significant assets (properties, murals, monuments, placards, cemeteries, archeological and sites.)
Vision: Preserve Our History
The Society to Preserve Philadelphia African American Assets (SPPAAA) will:
- Identify historic and culturally significant real estate assets
- Maintain and update a list of historic and culturally significant properties
- Seek solutions and resources that provide funding for maintenance or sustainment
- Advocate to ensure representation and awareness of our history
- Monitor historic designations: (e.g. historic markers, murals, historic commission designations, etc.) City, State and National.
- Community will become more aware of significant properties
- Owners would be encouraged to know historic relevance of their properties
- Significant properties would achieve relevant recognition
- Endangered properties with limited resources would benefit through the SPPAAA facilitating connections or providing emergency resources.
We are an advocacy group and information resource.
Board of Directors/Officers
Founder/President/Secretary: Deborah Gary
CoFounder – Jacqueline Wiggins
Vice President – Victoria Best
Treasurer: Ferdinand Morrison
Director of Preservation Initiatives – Deborah Gary
Director of Outreach and Advocacy – Victoria Best